Community Extras – Week of 10/18/21
Good morning! Here are this week’s bonus tips and nuggets from around the community. To get these every day in your inbox, sign up to our daily newsletter where you’ll see these faster, as well as our top 3 curated articles every day!
👉 Warren Buffett’s Secret Millionaire Club
Did you know that Warren Buffett’s entrepreneurial lessons are available as a cartoon for kids? Yep. You can watch over twenty episodes of his group of young teens learn money lessons. It’s free to stream, with no subscription service to buy. Usually, I mix this in as a treat on days that I’ve had to homeschool as a break.
👉 Book Watch: “Four Thousand Weeks”
Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals by Oliver Burkeman is a relatively short book filled with thought-provoking observations about the constant pressure that we feel, how there never seems to be enough time to accomplish the things that we really want. I can work from home while having almost anything delivered to my doorstep with a few taps, but somehow I still feel exhausted. Upon finishing, my Kindle showed 156 (!) highlighted passages, but I’ve whittled that down to a dozen of my favorites below. Don’t have time for even that? Here is the entire book condensed to a single sentence:
“You have to choose a few things, sacrifice everything else, and deal with the inevitable sense of loss that results.”
👉 The Million Dollar Bet
In 2008, Warren Buffett, the Oracle of Omaha, threw down the gauntlet to his friends over at the elite hedge funds. The challenge? He stated that, with all their genius and intellectual firepower, hedge fund returns could not beat the returns given by the humble S&P 500 Index Fund over a ten-year period. The consideration? A mere million dollars. Buffett won, by a huge margin – the index fund had returned an annual 7.1% compared to a measly 2.2% by the hedge funds.
👉 The Autonomy Paradox
New technology is supposed to help us save time and money, and live a more flexible life. But instead, sometimes we are actually robbing ourselves of time and money, and feel more trapped in life. Today: be aware of the autonomy paradox. Make sure the advancements you’ve been blessed with are not secretly robbing you of happiness!
👉 News from around the community this week:
- Retire In Progress has twins!
- The Best Interest Blog is now engaged!
- Ms. Modest Millionaire officially goes into semi-retirement
- Accidentally Retired locked his cell phone in a safe for 24 hours
- From One Geek to Another gets her mortgage down to $175,000
- Wealthy Mom MD is coming out with a new book soon: Defining Wealth for Women: Peace, Purpose, and Plenty of Cash!
- Financial Pilgrimage reflects on turning 40 y/o
- A Purple Life celebrates 1 year of early retirement
- Route To Retire decides to hike up an active volcano (!)
- Game of Budgets celebrates 3 months since leaving his job
- Hope from Blogging Away Debt celebrates 10 years of fostering her twin boys
- Kyle McIntosh of Humble Dollar celebrates 19 years of marriage (and his 3rd year using Peloton)
Get these articles in your inbox
Bloggers: we want to feature your best work! Get your site on our radar.